Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Wedding ceremonies can be performed by any ordained member of the clergy, a judge, or a family court commissioner.
Marriage by proxy, by phone/Internet camera hook-up, or other electronic device is prohibited in Wisconsin.  The couple, officiant, and two competent adult witnesses (at least 18 years of age) must be physically present together at the time of the ceremony in order for the marriage to be legal.

Couples should make their own arrangements prior to applying for the license.

Couples wishing to be married at the Courthouse should contact the Family Court Commissioner at (920) 459-3102.  Wedding ceremonies are performed in room B-10 on Fridays between 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. by appointment only.

Couples wishing to have a civil ceremony outside of the courthouse can be married by a County or Municipal Judge.  To schedule an appointment please call one of the following numbers:

For County Judges - Judicial Assistant Department of the Clerk of Courts Office at(920) 459-0308.
                                     (If you get the Court's voice mail, leave a message---your call will be returned.

 For Municipal Judges - Village of Elkhart Lake - Susan Schleisner at (920) 980-7055
                                      City of Plymouth - Mathew Mooney at (920) 892-8801
                                      City of Sheboygan Falls - David Specht at (920) 467-0763
                                      City of Sheboygan/Village of Kohler - Natasha Torry-Morgan at (920) 287-6737
                                      Catherine Q. Delahunt (Retired) at (262) 424-3177 


For couples choosing a religious officiant (not a judge or court commissioner):

  • Wisconsin does not have a state registration system for religious officiants.  It is up to the bride and groom to find out if their officiant is legal to perform marriages in Wisconsin.  Neither the County Clerk, Register of Deeds, nor the State Vital Records Office can advise you on the legality of your chosen religious officiant.  This includes "Internet ordinations."  If in doubt, you may want to consult with legal counsel on the issue.
  • The letter of sponsorship is no longer required for any out-of-state religious officiant.

For couples who are claiming the right to self-marriage (without an officiant):

  • This option is restricted by law to instances in which at least one of the marrying parties belongs to a religious organization that believes in self-marriage.  There are very few religions or sects that allow this option.  The County Clerk, Register of Deeds, or the State Vital Records Office do not demand proof of membership in such a religion, but it is illegal to provide false information in order to claim coverage under this provision.

If a couple has concerns about the legality of an officiant they are planning to use for their marriage, they should contact an attorney for a determination.